Knee arthritis is a common condition affecting millions worldwide, caused by the gradual breakdown of cartilage in the knee joint leading to pain, stiffness, and reduced mobility. Among various contributing factors, body weight plays a crucial role.
The Link Between Body Weight and Knee Arthritis
Excess body weight significantly impacts joint health, especially in the knees. The knee joint bears the body’s weight and facilitates movement, but carrying extra weight adds stress and accelerates cartilage wear.
The relationship between body weight and knee arthritis involves both mechanical stress and inflammation. Adipose tissue releases cytokines that promote inflammation, further contributing to cartilage deterioration.
The Role of Physiotherapy
Physiotherapy is instrumental in managing knee arthritis, particularly for overweight or obese individuals in Indore. At Kiran Chiropractic and Physiotherapy, our personalized approach includes:
- Weight Management: Tailored exercise and diet plans aid in achieving and maintaining a healthy body weight, reducing knee joint stress.
- Strengthening Exercises: Targeted exercises strengthen muscles around the knee, providing better support and load distribution.
- Low-Impact Activities: Recommending low-impact exercises like swimming or cycling for cardiovascular workouts without excessive knee strain.
- Pain Management: Utilizing manual therapy, heat/cold therapy, and electrical stimulation for pain relief and improved joint flexibility.
- Gait Training: Teaching proper movement to reduce knee joint stress and prevent further damage.
Body weight significantly influences knee arthritis development and progression. Kiran Chiropractic and Physiotherapy in Indore offers a holistic approach by addressing weight management, muscle strengthening, and pain relief to enhance mobility and improve overall quality of life. Proactively maintaining a healthy body weight and investing in joint health can preserve knee function for years to come.